Wednesday 9 July 2014

Homebrew Wednesday - KungFuRamone

This is only the second one of these, mainly as I don't seem to drink beers on a Wednesday. This is not the case today.



@KungFuRamone AKA Dave Harrison-Ward is a homebrewer from Macclesfield who has the rather ace blog Brews Implosion!! and recently he joined in on the bulk buying of hops that is enjoyed by some homebrewers in the Manchester area. He got some rather lovely Sorachi Ace whole hops, and he used the lot to make a Vienna Sorachi Saison.


Being a super kind gentleman, he offered to send me a bottle of said saison, and I jumped at the chance, what's not to like, Sorachi, and Saison, in one bottle! I wish I'd thought of that.

The beer was made with 100% Vienna base malt, and 100g of Sorachi Ace thrown into the boil at the 10 minute mark, then fermented with Danstar Belle Saison yeast, which I've had some success with in the past too.

The beer bottle arrived, and it was in a brown crown capped PET bottle, my first experience of these. I let the beer settle for a short while (about a week) then put the bottle in the fridge. I popped the cap and the noise was louder than I'm used to. I thought I was going to have to run to the sink to save my work surfaces, but no. That's seemingly an effect of using the plastic bottles. The beer inside poured perfectly.



It's a lovely, hazy, deep gold with light amber liquid with a an initially big, tight white head. The head dropped down so that it was only about 3-4mm in height, but it kept that down the glass. The aroma is dry and spiced, with delicate lemon or at least, citrus in nature.

I think my tastebuds had to adjust to the flavours, sorachi still being a nice shock to the tastebuds every time I have it. Initially I was getting blue cheese with pepper, which was certainly interesting, I'll give it that. As I acclimatised to the beer and got a third into it the flavour developed more into the spicy lemon that I had got from the aroma. Drinking it now and the lemon is sharp, it cuts and then dries and leaves a white pepper smattering on the tongue.

All in, this is a beer that I would happily buy, and if it was on the bar where I work, it would probably be my beer of the night. Thank you Dave, I'm really grateful you sent me a bottle, and I only hope I can do this any justice when I send you my Sorachi beers for testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment